If you love the classic Tso Rice Bowl this plant-based version is going to make your day!
Today I would like to share with you one of my favorite dishes, Tso Rice Bowl. I find it perfect for the cold days coming ahead.
The black rice, also known as forbidden rice as it was only for nobles and the emperor in ancient China, makes this one a comfy bowl for Fall and Winter season.
I also love the sweet and salty flavor of the sauce and the fact that thanks to the edamame I am getting some extra protein!
Hope you enjoy it! You can also try this Fall Color noodles
At SCK we want to help all of you to lead a more sustainable lifestyle in all areas. We believe that it is important to be aware of what we eat, carry and do affects our planet. If you are looking to improve your lifestyle and achieve a style that is not only healthy but also sustainable, you are in the right place! Together we will learn incredible healthy recipes, fashion brands focused on slow fashion and endless tips and tricks for our day to day. Dive in and start a new healthy and sustainable lifestyle!
Pair this delicious bowl with the surprising Holiday Sandria!
For the Rice
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
For the Broccoli & Sauce
- 1 broccoli head cut in florets
- 3 scallions sliced
- 3 tbsp Tamari
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and minced
For the Toppings
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/3 cup roasted peanut unsalted & chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- First prepare the rice. As the black rice takes some time to cook, it’s better to start with it and prepare the rest in the meantime. – TIP: I usually leave the rice soaking overnight, it helps with the cooking time and it activates the rice.So, rinse the rice and place in a medium pot over medium heat and toast stirring frequently for about a couple of minutes or until dry. Then pour the stock and bring it to boil. Immediately reduce the heat and leave it to simmer, covered until it has absorbed the stock entirely. Remove from the heat and let it stand covered while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- For the sauce combine the Kamari, vinegar, maple syrup, arrowroot, garlic, and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. cook until the mixture turns slitty thick, about 2 to 5 minutes.
- Steam the broccoli for 3 minutes and combine it with the scallions and the sauce.
- Now divide the rice into the bowls, place the seasoned broccoli over it and top with the edamame, peanuts, sesame seeds, and fresh cilantro.