One of the things I get asked the most is about tips and tricks to keep hydrated and:
“Besides my skincare routine, what else can I do to help my skin glow?”
From my experience, I think that the best ways to achieve great skin are:
1. Eat a diet as clean as possible, free of sugars, processed and fried foods, among others, you can read more about it here.
2. Drink water. I know it sounds like a cliché, but it has a scientific basis.
We are about 60% composed of water. Within others, it helps with digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature. Pretty awesome, isn’t it?
Studies have shown that the top 5 benefits of drinking water include:
- Promote weight loss.
- Increase in energy & fatigue relief. Since the brain is mostly water, drinking helps to think, focus, and concentrate better and be more alert.
- Maintain Regularity
- Flush Out Toxins.
- And improve Skin Complexion.
Therefore the following question would be, and how much should I drink? Well, as I always say, we are all different, so the rule of thumb is half your body weight in ounces.
A study done in 2007 by the International Journal of Cosmetic Science
found that after drinking this amount of water every day for four weeks, there was an alteration in skin density and thickness! Their conclusions pointed out that proper hydration levels help the skin to become plump and improve its elasticity, making it less likely to crack and have irritations and blemishes.
I personally find it quite difficult to drink so much water a day; I rarely feel thirsty and totally forget about it. If this resonates with you, here are some of my tips for tackling it:
1. Have your water bottle always with you on your desk.
I bought one of those glasses with a straw, and as silly as it may seem, having it there all day did the trick, I drink much more now! And it’s the perfect sustainable alternative to water bottles.
2. Drink before the meals.
But not during them. Drink a glass of water about 30 min before starting; this will help you feel full but won’t mess up with your stomach acid and, therefore, with your digestion.
3. Infuse it!
I love creating different types of homemade flavors. It’s much healthier than the ones you buy and with no added sugars. Moreover, you can be quite creative with it and don’t get bored! Here are some of my favorite:
- lemon + Basil (for dizzy days)
- ginger + lemon (ideal for digestive aid!)
- berries (great antioxidants)
- cucumbers + mint ( who said spa?)
- pineapple + coconut (avoid the rum, is not pina colada o’clock yet!)
And the list can go on! Use whatever you have on your fridge and try new recipes!
Can’t wait to see your creations!
And hey Dear, before you go, one more thing! Check out the Superfood Guide for a healthy immune system! With a special surprise at the end! You can’t miss it! Hope you enjoy and use all this tips and tricks to keep hydrated.
Enjoying the content? If you’re into the occasional email from me, sign up here. I promise I won’t spam you!