Orange cake our new healthy & tasty recipe!
Today I will bring you this orange cake recipe!
A couple of years back, I loved going to a restaurant close to the beach near my home town in Barcelona.
They had plenty of healthy options, and the views were amazing! I couldn’t think of a better plan on a sunny winter day than having lunch at their terrace under the sun, wearing a thin striped sweater, my sunnies, and staring at the Mediterranean sea!
Lately, I‘ve been thinking a lot about this place and especially about the orange cake they had for dessert. It was incredibly good! Sweet but not too much, with a base of candied oranges and orange zest crowning it.
As I cannot visit this little town as often, and unfortunately they closed years ago, I thought it would be great to try to recreate their orange cake at home.
Hopefully, I would feel the sun in my skin on rainy days here in New York when savoring this amazing orange cake.
I hope you like it and that also brings you some Mediterranean sun rays!
If you need more ideas for Breakfast you can visit us here. You can find a lot of different recipes and learn all the benefits of each ingredients and how to combine them. Enjoy excellent recipes for breakfast, whether you prefer salty or sweet. Start your day taking care of yourself choosing a healthy and vegan breakfast like this recipe. Take care of you every single day!
For the Base of caramelized Oranges
- 4 oranges small
- 8 cups water divided
- 4 cups coconut sugar granulated
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cup whole all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg replacer
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil cold-pressed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 356°F
- Start with the base. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set asid.
- Add 4 cups of the water to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the orange slices. Boil for 2 minutes. Transfer the orange slices to the bowl of ice water and discard the water.
- In the same saucepan, add the remaining 4 cups water and the sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and add the orange slices. Simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rinds are slightly translucent. Gently swirl the oranges every 15 minutes to make sure they are evenly coated with the sugar water. Repeat until there is no more water left. The set-aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Blend together the sweetener, egg replacement, almond milk, orange juice, coconut oil, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and sift until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and lightly whisk until combined. Do not over mix.
- Slightly oil the base of the cake mold. Then place the caramelized oranges in the base of the cake mold. I placed them trying to cover only the edges of the slices. But you can try any other fancy shapes!
- Pour the batter into the cake mold and bake for about 40 minutes until lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick or knife comes out clean, not wet
- Remove from the oven and let cool.Enjoy!